Though a number of definitions exist, at heart Green Growth is economic growth that is environmentally sustainable. While economic growth is necessary for increased employment and poverty reduction, further environmental goals include the mitigation of climate change, adaptation to climate change, the reduction of other pollutants, and a reversal of biodiversity loss and growing fresh water scarcity. To tackle these challenges, the active participation of the private sector is needed, as firms reduce or change their resource use, minimise waste, develop new environmentally friendly products and services, and increase demand for such products and services. Meeting these needs will be a challenge, but for many enterprises in the developing world, it also presents an opportunity. In fact investment in greening our economies is already a source of growth for many, while DCED members are increasingly active in promoting private sector contributions to Green Growth.
Suggestions for additions to this page are welcome at any time. Click here to contact the DCED Secretariat.
DCED publications and other key documents
A working group on Green Growth under the DCED has been formed in 2010.The objective of the group is to share knowledge and to raise awareness on the private sector’s contribution to Green Growth, as well as green issues related to the business enabling environment. This section lists key documents published by the DCED itself as well as other organisations.
DCED publications and initiatives
- The OECD and DCED Green Growth Working Group co-organised a workshop ‘Engaging the Private Sector for Green Growth and Climate Change‘ in March 2016.
- Green Growth and Private Sector Development: Stocktaking of DCED Experiences, 2014.
- Skills Development for Green and Inclusive SMEs in India: Entrepreneurs’ Approaches, 2014.
- Private Sector Adaptation to Climate Change and Development Agency Support. DCED Synthesis Note, 2014.
- Policy Measures to Support Inclusive and Green Business Models, DCED and UN Global Compact, 2013.
- Women’s participation in green growth – a potential fully realised?, 2012.
- Fact sheets on key avenues of Green Growth, 2012: Economic Policy for Green Growth, Green Growth: Risks and Opportunities for Trade and Investment, Green Industries for Green Growth, and Green Value Chains to Promote Green Growth.
- Inclusive Green Growth: A reflection on the meaning and implications for the policy agenda of the Dutch Directorate-General of Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation, Jestke Bouma and Ezra Berkhout, 2015.
- The impact of green growth on employment, Grantham Research Institute and GGGI, 2015.
- Green Jobs: Impacts of a Green Economy on Employment, GIZ, 2015.
- Is Green Growth Good for the Poor? The World Bank, 2014.
- Better Growth, Better Climate, The Global Commission on the Economy and Climate, 2015.
- Research and Evidence on Green Growth, DFID, 2013.
- A Toolkit of Policy Options to Support Inclusive Green Growth, AFDB, OECD, UN and World Bank, 2012.
- Green Economy, Green Growth, and Low-Carbon Development – history, definitions and a guide to recent publications, UNDESA, 2012.
- Inclusive Green Growth: The Pathway to Sustainable Development, The World Bank, 2012.
- Green Economy, BMZ, 2011.
Green growth approaches
- Mobilising Investment for Inclusive Green Growth in Low-Income Countries, GIZ, 2013.
- Mobilising International Climate Finance: Lessons from the Fast-Start Finance Period, WRI, 2013.
- Private Investment in Inclusive Green Growth and Climate-related Activities: Key Messages from the Literature and Bibliography, IFC, 2012.
- Financing Renewable Energy in Developing Countries: Drivers and Barriers for Private Finance in Sub-Saharan Africa, UNEP, 2012.
- Who’s Going Green and Why? Trends and Determinants of Green Investment, IMF, 2011.
- Carbon Trading in Africa: A Critical Review, ISS, 2011.
- Making Carbon Markets Work for the Poor in Vietnam, Practical Action et al., 2009.
Business Environment Reform
Green Industrial Policy
- Greening Africa’s Industrialization, UNECA, May 2016.
- ‘Green growth’ and the new Industrial Revolution, GGGI, January 2016.
- Korea’s Green Growth Experience: Process, Outcomes and Lessons Learned, Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI), January 2016.
- Building Competitive Green Industries: The Climate and Clean Technology Opportunity for Developing Countries, The World Bank, 2014.
- Green Industrial Policy. Managing transformation under uncertainty, German Development Institute, 2014.
- Incorporating Green Growth and Sustainable Development Policies into Structural Reform, OECD et al., 2012.
- Green Industrial Policy: Trade and Theory, Larry Karp and Megan Stevenson, 2012.
- Towards Green Growth Through Green Industry Development in Vietnam, 2012.
- Green Industry: Policies for supporting Green Industry, UNIDO, 2011.
Greening Markets and Businesses
- Green Industrial Policy, Grantham Research Institute, 2013.
- Low-carbon green growth opportunities for SMEs, Asia-Pacific Tech Monitor, ESCAP, 2011.
- Climate Change and Private Sector Development: Integrating green growth strategies into the MSME Development Plan, Philippines 2010-2016, GIZ, 2010.
- UNIDO Case Studies, 2010:
- Adaptation: An issue brief for business, WBCSD, 2010.
- Informality and inclusive green growth, IIED, August 2016.
- Policy instruments for Eco-Innovation in Asian countries, in: Sustainability, September 2015
- Fast-tracking Green Patent Applications: An Empirical Analysis. ICTSD Issue Paper 37, 2013.
- Greening Global Value Chains: Innovation and the International Diffusion of Technologies and Knowledge. The World Bank, 2013.
- Green Growth, Technology, and Innovation. The World Bank, 2012.
- Green Growth Innovation: New Pathways for International Cooperation, Nathan Hultman et al., 2012.
- The Role of Technological Change in Green Growth, The World Bank, 2012.
- Enabling Frameworks for Technology Diffusion: A Business Perspective, WBCSD, 2010.
Demand for Green Products and Services
Climate Change Adaptation
- Keeping Track of Adaptation Actions Africa: Targeted Fiscal Stimulus Actions Making a Difference, UNEP, 2014.
- Private Sector Engagement in Climate Change Adaptation, GEF Secretariat and IFC, 2012.
- How can donors advance climate change adaptation, AFD, 2011.
- Business leadership on climate change adaptation: Encouraging engagement and action, PwC, 2010.
- Economics of adaptation to climate change – Synthesis report, The World Bank, 2010.
- Integrating Climate Change Adaptation into Development Co-operation, OECD, 2009.
Green Growth and Gender
Green Jobs and Skills
- TVET for a Green Economy, GIZ, 2013.
- Sustainable development, decent work and green jobs , ILO, 2013.
- Working towards sustainable development: Opportunities for decent work and social inclusion in a green economy, UNEP et al., 2012.
- International Labour Organisation (2012) Methodologies for Assessing Green Jobs.
- ‘Green’ Growth, ‘Green’ Jobs and Labour Markets, The World Bank, 2012.
- Poor People’s Energy Outlook, Practical Action, 2014.
- DFID (2013) Evidence brief: Factors influencing large-scale uptake of cleaner and more efficient household energy technologies, DFID, 2013.
- Renewables: Global Futures Report, Ren 21, 2013.
- Micro energy enterprise development in East Africa: Challenges for marketing technologies, Energy Market and Enterprise Development, 2012.
- Transforming On-Grid Renewable Energy Markets: A Review of UNDP-GEF Support for Feed-in Tariffs and Related Price and Market-Access Instruments, UNDP, 2012.
- From Gap to Opportunity: Business Models for Scaling up Energy Access, IFC, 2012.
- Design and Performance of Policy Instruments to Promote the Development of Renewable Energy: Emerging Experience in Selected Developing Countries, The World Bank, 2011.
Country and Regional Studies
- Measuring Inclusive Green Growth at the Country Level: Taking Stock of Measurement Approaches and Indicators, Green Growth Knowledge Platform (GGKP), February 2016.
- Achieving Sustainable Development in Africa through Inclusive Green Growth, UNECA, June 2015.
- The economy-wide effects of climate change on Philippine agriculture, IFPRI, September 2015.
- Aid and environment in Africa: the case of Tanzania, UNU-WIDER, 2014.
- Sierra Leone: Transitioning Towards Green Growth; Stocktaking and the Way Forward, AfDB, 2013.
- Making Growth Green and Inclusive: The Case Of Ethiopia, OECD, 2013.
- Low-Carbon Development: Opportunities for Nigeria. Directions in Development. The World Bank, 2013.
- Climate-Smart Business: Investment Potential in EMENA, IFC, 2013.
- Making Growth Green and Inclusive: The Case Of Cambodia, OECD. 2013.
For further stories on green growth, visit our Impact Stories page.
Videos on green growth
This short film profiles IFC’s Lighting Africa initiative, which aims to develop markets for cleaner, more affordable and safer lighting products in Sub-Saharan Africa. Further videos on private sector development are available on the DCED YouTube account.