Six key issues and debates in Industrial Policy – synthesis note:
Click here for a summary of current key issues and debates in Industrial Policy (2014).
Background documents: structural transformation
‘Big picture’ documents on development pathways
- Industrial Competitiveness and Jobs An Evaluation of World Bank Group Industry-Specific Support to Promote Industrial Competitiveness and Its Implications for Jobs, IEG, 2016.
- Premature Deindustrialization, Dani Rodrik, 2015. (Article abstract and blog post)
- Least Developed Country Report 2014 – Growth with Structural Transformation, UNCTAD, 2014.
- Firm capabilities and economic growth, IGC Evidence Paper, 2014.
- The past, present and future of economic growth, Dani Rodrik, 2013.
- Structural Change, Fundamentals, and Growth: An overview, Dani Rodrik, 2013.
Research on growth and structural transformation in Asia
- Structural transformation in Nepal. A diagnostic study submitted to DFID Nepal, ODI, 2014.
- Agriculture and structural transformation in Asia. Review and Outlook. Asian Development Bank, 2013.
Research on growth and structural transformation in Africa
- The Changing Structure of Africa’s Economies, World Bank, January 2017.
- Public and Private Sector Collaboration for Economic Transformation, ODI, May 2016.
- Supporting the preparation of Tanzania’s second Fiver Year Development Plan, ODI, May 2016.
- Unreliable Logistics Services, Productivity and Trade Patterns in Sub-Saharan Africa, Centre for Economic Policy Research, May 2016.
- Economic Report on Africa 2016, UNECA, March 2016.
- Transformative Industrial Policy for Africa, UNECA, April 2016.
- Scoping paper of industry in Senegal, UNU-WIDER Working Paper, 2014.
- Can services be a growth escalator in low-income countries? World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, 2014.
- The performance of Tanzania’s manufacturing sector, UNU-WIDER Working Paper, 2014.
- 2014 African Transformation Report: Growth with Depth, ACET, 2014.
- Sub-Saharan Africa’s recent growth spurt: an analysis of the sources of growth, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, 2014.
- Economic transformation in Ghana. Where will the path lead?, IFPRI Discussion Paper, 2012.
- Aid, Structural Change and the Private Sector in Africa, UNU Wider Working Paper. 2012.
- Structural Transformation and Employment Creation: The role of growth facilitation policies in Sub-Saharan Africa, ODI, 2012.
For and against Industrial Policy in developing countries
- The Entrepreneurial State: Debunking Public vs. Private Sector Myths, Mariana Mazzucato, 2013. (buy online or preview on google books)
- Perspectives on Global Development 2013: Industrial Policies in a Changing World, OECD, 2013.
- Strategic industrial policy and business environment reform: are they compatible?, DCED Working Paper, 2013.
- Beyond Industrial Policy: Emerging Issues and New Trends, OECD, 2013.
- The role of industrial policy in development, video of discussion with Ha-Joon Chang and Justin Yifu Lin, 2009.
- Industrial Policy in Africa: What Needs to be Done, UNIDO Making It Magazine, 2010.
- Picking winners, saving losers, The Economist, 2010.
- Pack, Howard and Kamal Saggi (2006): The case for industrial policy. A critical survey.
“How to” of Industrial Policy
- Directing structural change: from tools to policy, German Development Institute, 2016.
- Global experiences with Special Economic Zones: Focus on China and Africa. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, 2015.
- The practice of industrial policy: Lessons for Africa. Coordination through an Asian Lens, UNU-WIDER Working Paper, 2014.
- The Industrial Policy Governance Challenge, Presentation bu Mushtaq Khan, 2014.
- Transforming Economies: Making industrial policies work for growth, jobs and development, UNCTAD and ILO, 2014. (includes various case studies)
- Industrial Policy in the African Context, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, 2013.
- Private Sector Development and Industrial Policy: Why, how and for whom?, OEFSE, 2013.
- Governance and Growth Challenges for Africa, Mushtaq Khan, 2012.
- Light Manufacturing in Africa. Targeted Policies to Enhance Private Investment and Create Jobs, The World Bank, 2012.
- Manufacturing the future: The next era of global growth and innovation, McKinsey Global Institute, 2012.
- New Structural Economics: A Framework for Rethinking Development and Policy. Justin Lin, 2012.
- Industrial Policy and Competition, NBER Working Paper, 2012.
- Fostering Industrial Development in Africa in the New Global Environment, UNCTAD and UNIDO, 2011.
- Industrial Policy in Developing Countries: Overview and lessons from seven country cases, DIE, 2011.
- Can Industrial Policy Work under Neopatrimonial Rule? UNU-Wider Working Paper, 2011.
- Should Industrial Policy in Developing Countries Conform to Comparative Advantage or Defy it? A Debate between Justin Lin and Ha-Joon Chang, 2009.
Industrial Policy experience from various countries
- Bangladesh: Enhancing productivity in Bangladesh’s garment sector. Current policy and research debates, DFID, 2014. [with examples from Pakistan and Mauritius].
- Chile and Ethiopia: Experimentation and Co-ordination as Industrial Policy: Examples from Ethiopia and Chile, UNU-WIDER Working Paper, 2010.
- A natural experiment in industrial policy. Floriculture and the metal and engineering industries in Ethiopia. UNU-WIDER working paper, 2014.
- The Economic Implications of a Comprehensive Approach to Learning on Industrialisation (Policy and Managerial Capability Learning): The Case of Ethiopia, Go Shimada, 2013.
- Structural transformation in Ethiopia: Evidence from cereal markets. IFPRI and EDRI, 2012.
- Industrial Policy in Ethiopia. Discussion Paper, DIE, 2010.
- India: The Implementation of Industrial Parks: Some lessons learnt in India, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, 2014.
- Kenya: Scoping paper on Kenyan manufacturing,WIDER Working Paper, 2014.
- Korea: Korea’s export-oriented industrialisation. Trade and Industrial Policy, KDI School of Public Policy and Management, 2015.
- Mongolia: Strategic Directions in Industrial Policy in Mongolia, UNIDO, 2011.
- Mozambique: Learning by exporting – The case of Mozambican manufacturing, UNU-WIDER working paper. 2014.
- Myanmar: Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Transformation in Myanmar, DFID/ ODI, 2017.
- Namibia: Industrial Policy in Namibia, DIE, 2010.
- Nigeria: Industrial Development and Growth in Nigeria. Lessons and Challenges, UNU-WIDER Working Paper, 2014.
- South Korea: Lessons for South Asia from the Industrial Cluster Development Experience in South Korea, ADB, 2015.
- Tanzania: The performance of the manufacturing sector in Tanzania. Challenges and the way forward, UNU-WIDER Working Paper, 2014.
- Tunisia: The perils of industrial policy. Evidence from Tunisia, Bob Rijkers et al., 2014.
- Uganda: How should Uganda grow? ESID Working Paper, 2014.