you can find a compilation of existing guidance published by various agencies on
how to promote private sector development in conflict-affected environments. The available guidance falls
into the following categories:
Please note that the list below is a work in progress. The various publications
only represent the views of the respective agencies/ authors. We will add further
details and orientation to 'guide' you through the guidance in due course. This
will include pointing out the differences and commonalities between the various
A) Guidance for Conflict Assessment
B) Guidance for Conflict Assessment with a PSD Lens
C) Guidance for applying PSD Assessment Tools with a Conflict Lens
General private sector/ economic development assessment tools
Investment climate/ business environment assessment tools
Value Chain/ market assessment tools
Programme Design and Implementation
Note: Monitoring of results should be part of good programme design and implementation.
Guidance on monitoring can be found in the section on results measurement.
A) Basic guiding principles for international engagement in CAEs
B) Guidance for economic and private sector development
- SEEP (2010): Minimum Standards for Economic Recovery after Crisis
(financial services, productive assets, employment, and enterprise development)
- Principles for PSD in CAEs, in:
DCED (2011): Private Sector Development in CAEs - Key Resources for Practitioners
- Stabilisation Unit (2010): Economic Regeneration and Private Sector Development.
DCED (2008): Private Sector Development in Post-Conflict Countries: A Review of
Current Literature and Practice' (references to areas of consensus across themes
such as relief-to-development transition, public sector involvement in PSD, PPPs,
working with the local/ int. private sector, collaboration with international forces,
donor coordination, principles for different kind of PSD interventions)
USAID (2010): “Guide to economic growth in post-conflict countries”
(Fundamental Principles, prioritisation and timing, best practices
in programme design and implementation)
- Smith, James (2011) Applying the Principles of “A Guide to
Economic Growth in Post-Conflict Countries” to Mid-Conflict Situations
GTZ 2009: Sustainable Economic Development in Conflict-Affected Environments: A
Guidebook (Conflict Sensitive Planning and Management of Business Environment
Reform, Local Economic Development, Value Chain Promotion, Skills and Employment
Promotion, Financial System Development, General Principles)
- GTZ-FIAS (2008): Economic Development in Conflict-Affected Countries.
A Practitioner's Note (Intervention Principles, Planning and Implementation)
Investment Climate Reform
Value Chain/ Market Development
Public Private Partnerships
Local Economic Development
A) Guidance for results measurement in CAEs (not PSD-specific)
- Bayne, Sarah and Tony Vaux (2013): Integrated development and peacebuilding programming. Design, monitoring and evaluation, DFID.
- Sian, Herbert (2013): Perception surveys in fragile and conflict-affected environments, GSDRC Helpdesk Research Report.
- OECD DAC (2012): Evaluating Peace-building Activities in Settings of Conflict and Fragility. Improving Learning for Results. DAC Guidelines and Reference Series.
- Mercy Corps (2011): Evaluation and Assessment of Poverty and Conflict Interventions. Conflict & Economics. Lessons learnt on Measuring Impact.
DFID (2011): Results in Fragile and Conflict-Affected States and Situations. How
- DFID (2010):
Working Effectively in Conflict-Affected and Fragile Situation. Briefing Paper I:
Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Practitioner’s Guide: Peace and Conflict Impact Assessment, GTZ.
- Cohen, C.
(2006) Measuring Progress in Stabilization and Reconstruction, USIP.
- Anderson, M. and D. Chigas (2007): Encouraging Effective Evaluation
of Conflict Prevention and Peace-building Activities: Toward DAC Guidance
Search for Common Ground, 2006, ‘Designing for Results: Integrating Monitoring
and Evaluation in Conflict Transformation Programs’
- USAID (2006): Monitoring and
Evaluation in Post-Conflict Settings
B) Guidance for results measurement in CAES (PSD-specific)
Investment Climate Reform
Photos: Road Construction, Roadside shops in Afghanistan.