The DCED is a forum where member agencies and others can come together to share experiences and to formulate a common understanding of good practice. This understanding is based particularly on empirical experience in the field: what has worked, and what has not.
Often, the experiences are harvested through a series of thematic conferences, featuring a wide range of peer-reviewed Papers, research and other evidence. During each conference, the materials are reviewed and discussed, leading to a shared agreement about what constitutes good practice. In other cases the members of the DCED’s thematic working groups work closely with experts to review and document their joint lessons.
From this page, you can easily access current DCED guidance and reviews of joint lessons learnt on various themes:
Private Sector Engagement
- Guidance: Operational framework and categorisation of PSE strategies for the DCED Private Sector Engagement Working Group, 2018.
- Review of joint lessons: How donors can make the transition to strategic private sector engagement: Programming innovations and organisational change, 2017.
- Review of joint lessons: Demonstrating Additionality in Private Sector Development Initiatives: A practical exploration of good practice, 2014.
- Guidelines: Measuring Results in Challenge Funds: Practical Guidelines for using the DCED Standard, DCED, 2013.
- Read more about the work of the Private Sector Engagement Working Group
Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Guidance: Synthesis Document on How to Integrate Gender and WEE into PSD Programmes, 2018, and accompanying guide on How to integrate gender & women’s economic empowerment into private sector development: An accompanying guide for policy-makers, 2018.
- Guidance: Gender and Business Environment Reform, 2016.
- Guidelines: Measuring Women’s Economic Empowerment in PSD: Guidelines for Practitioners, 2014.
- Read more about the work of the Women’s Economic Empowerment Working Group
- Guidance: The DCED Standard for results measurement (v.2017) and supporting guidelines for implementing the Standard
- Read more about the DCED Standard and other work of the Results Measurement Working Group
Business Environment Reform
- Guidance: Practical Guidance on Supporting Business Environment Reform, 2008, and specific guidance on
- Business Environment Reform and Investment Promotion, 2019.
- Creating Better Business Environments for Micro and Small Enterprises, 2019.
- Policies that Promote SME Participation in Public Procurement, 2018.
- Business Environment Reform and Labour Productivity, 2018.
- Gender and Business Environment Reform, 2016.
- Supporting Local and Regional Business Environment Reforms, 2016.
- Supporting Business Environment Reforms within Industry Sectors, 2016.
- Supporting quality infrastructure in developing and transitional economies, 2014.
- Measuring Business Environment Reform, 2013.
- How BER can be complemented with industrial policy support, 2013.
- How BER can promote formalisation, 2011.
- Read more about the work of the Business Environment Working Group
PSD in Conflict-Affected Environments
- Guidelines: Practical Guidelines for Measuring Results in Fragile and Conflict Affected Environments, v3/2015.
Business Development Services
- Guidance: Business Development Services for Small Enterprises: Guiding Principles for Donor Interventions, 2001.