Overviews of Value Chain Development
- The use of IT solutions in inclusive value chains, Endeva and Fundes, 2019. Presents an overview of key IT solutions that can help MSMEs become more productive.
- Super Platforms: Connecting Farmers to Markets in Africa, Mercy Corps/MCF/CGAP 2018 includes an inventory of platform models from around the world, with a focus on smallholders
- Guides for VCD: A comparative review, CTA 2016. Analyses and compares 11 guides for VCD
- Building Competitiveness in Africa’s Agriculture: A guide to value chain concepts and applications, World Bank 2010 A thorough overview. (6 Mb)
How-to Manuals (designing and implementing)
- How-to information for those designing or implementing a value chain project, USAID Marketlinks platform
- Value Chain Capacity Building Network, Asia-based platform, IFAD, Helvetas, Hivos
- Working with Smallholders: A Handbook for firms building sustainable supply chains, IFC, Second edition 2019.
- The ValueLinks methodology was first launched by GIZ in 2008, and has since become independent. The second version of the Manual was launched in 2018: Volume 1: Analysis, Strategy and Implementation (9 Mb) and Volume 2: Solutions (models, linkages, services, financing, monitoring etc.)(7 Mb)
- A Rough Guide to Value Chain Development: How to create employment and improve working conditions in targeted sectors, ILO 2015 Covers sector selection, market system analysis, intervention design, implementation, and monitoring and results measurement.
- How to do commodity value chain development projects, IFAD 2014 Covers VC selection and analysis (mapping), project design, finance, cross-cutting issues, roles in implementation etc.
How-to Manuals (value chain analysis)
- How to do livestock value chain analysis and project development, IFAD 2016 ‘A step-by-step approach to value chain analysis and project design’.
- Review of guidelines and manuals for value chain analysis for agricultural and forest products, ICRAF 2011. Reviews 32 guidelines, including some that cover all stages of implementation.
Measuring the results of VCD
Note that the DCED Standard for Results Measurement is widely used by VCD programmes.
- IFAD’s Engagement in Pro-Poor Value Chain Development. Corporate-Level Evaluation, IFAD, 2019.
- ValueLinks Manual (2018), Volume 2 (see Module 11)(7 Mb)
- Evaluation of Danida support to Value Chain Development, 2016
- How to monitor progress in value chain projects, IFAD, 2016 Lists widely used indicators at output and outcome levels.
- Evaluating value chain interventions: A review of recent evidence, CGIAR 2014. Reviews 20 studies, and proposes approaches and benchmarks to guide design of value chain impact evaluations.
- Monitoring and results measurement in value chain development: 10 lessons from experience. SEEP, 2012
Women’s Economic Empowerment in Value Chain Development
- Oxfam’s Women’s Economic Empowerment in Agriculture knowledge hub
- AgriProFocus Gender in Value Chains knowledge platform
- Women’s Economic Empowerment, DCED Research and Evidence Update, 2017 Includes some VCD-related insights from recent research.
- Developing gender-sensitive value chains: A guiding framework, FAO, 2016. Framework with literature review and guiding principles for future VC interventions.
Agency sites for VCD
- European Commission: Value Chain Analysis for Development (VCA4D). Includes a methodological framework and 4 VCAs (July 2018)
- FAO’s Sustainable Food Value Chains Knowledge Platform. Hosts documents from many agencies.
- ILO’s Value Chain Development home-page
- SDC: Value chains and cluster development – Improved access to local, regional and global markets
- SDC’s Shareweb knowledge page on Value Chain Development
- USAID: Overview of the Value Chain Approach, MarketLinks
Examples of multi-stakeholder alliances based on value chains
For an overview of Engaging the private sector through multi-stakeholder platforms (DCED, 2017), click here.