Objectives of the Group
As a long-term goal, the Green Growth Working Group (GGWG) aims to mainstream green and inclusive growth strategies in private sector development, while advocating for the importance of private sector development when implementing green and inclusive growth strategies in other areas of development cooperation. The other main goals are:
- To allow participating members to use knowledge and guidance acquired through the Working Group in their agencies for mainstreaming inclusive green growth through advocacy, policy development and/or programme development.
- To advance knowledge-sharing on inclusive green growth in PSD through exploring and disseminating experience and lessons learned on new topics.
The Working Group is chaired by Mette Grangaard Lund of ILO.
- The Green PSD Navigator, 2022. An overview of green PSD approaches and tools, with information on how best to practically combine different approaches.
- An Introduction to the Circular Economy for Donors. Synthesis Note, 2021
- Using Private Sector Development to achieve a Green Recovery in the Context of the COVID-19 Pandemic, 2020. Considers how green growth approaches in PSD programmes can help countries recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Gender-Responsive Green Growth Guidance Sheets: A series outlining the state of the art and current examples, all by Katherine Miles for DCED, 2019.
- Supporting Green Growth in Fragile and Conflict-affected Settings, 2019. This scoping study explores how inclusive and green growth can be supported in fragile and conflict-affected contexts.
- The Search for Synergy: Business Environment Reform and Green Growth – A practical guide for policy practitioners, 2017. View a presentation on the study here.
As per the GGWG Work Plan, members are:
- Sharing knowledge, including the organisation of webinars on different green growth approaches and tools.
- Creating a toolkit for women MSME’s on nature-based solutions for climate adaptation.
- Exploring green industrial policies and their just transition implications.
DCED/GGKP Webinar: Beyond COP28 – Advancing Biodiversity Finance for Global Climate Impact, December 2023
Building on the outcomes of COP28 discussions, this session addressed various viewpoints on biodiversity financing, commencing with a macro-level examination of policies concerning biodiversity finance. It also delved into public and private perspectives on financing biodiversity, encompassing risk assessment, impact evaluation and strategies to amplify investments in biodiversity.
DCED/GGKP Webinar: Empowering Women for the Green Transformation, September 2023
This webinar explored different pathways through which policymakers and development practitioners can collectively take action to better align women’s economic empowerment with the green agenda, as well as examine how greening the economy presents important opportunities to improve gender equity. It also discussed the role of action-based research, green policies, sustainable finance and multi-stakeholder partnerships.
DCED/GGKP Webinar: Navigating Green Private Sector Development, July 2023
This webinar included a presentation of the three intervention levels detailed in the DCED GGWG’s Green PSD Navigator: policy & regulation, supporting functions and individual companies. The subsequent discussion built on experiences from the audience to highlight how these intervention levels, when taken together, can effectively contribute to coherent green PSD programming in development cooperation.