In a hurry? This page provides short-cuts to all of the DCED’s brief summaries of key publications and thematic synthesis documents on PSD.
Private Sector Development (overview documents)
- Private Sector Development, 2019: One-page overview of PSD with links to the relevant parts of the DCED website.
- Donor Strategies and the Private Sector, State of the Art (2018): 2-pager on current trends and priorities in donor strategies.
- Outline of the DCED Standard: One-page overview of the DCED Standard and its benefits for programmes.
- Results Measurement in Impact Investing, 2017: 2-page summary of the DCED Review in 2016.
Learn more: Introduction to the DCED Standard
Private Sector Engagement
- Private Sector Engagement, 2019: Introduction to PSE as a new way of operating to achieve the SDGs; also offers a summary of key issues for staff already implementing PSE strategies or working to professionalise their agencies’ PSE approach.
- Donor Engagement in Innovative Finance: Opportunities and Obstacles, 2019: 2-pager on key issues for donors, including: definitions and discourse; evidence on results; ‘best fit’ roles for donors; and capacity for performing new roles. Includes a summary graphic of innovative finance concepts.
- Towards strategic private sector engagement: Programming innovations and institutional changes in donor agencies, 2018: 2 pager based on the DCED’s 2017 publication on changes in policies and procedures, staff roles, skill sets and incentives, to enable private sector engagement.
- Demonstrating Additionality in Private Sector Development Initiatives, 2017: One page plus graphics, summarising criteria from the DCED’s seminal 2014 guide on demonstrating additionality.
- Donor partnership funds and facilities, 2017: 8-page summary of the state of the art, around programmes that invite proposals from businesses; outlines design options, trends and lessons.
Learn more: DCED Private Sector Engagement web page
Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Women’s Economic Empowerment – What do we know?, 2019: 6-pager exploring major challenges for Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) as well as evidence on what works and why.
- Research & Evidence on Women’s Economic Empowerment, 2019: 5-page update on recent original research on WEE and effective interventions in different contexts.
Learn more: DCED Women’s Economic Empowerment web page
- Industrial Policy, 2017: 4-page summary of current issues and debates in Industrial Policy.
Learn more: DCED Industrial Policy web page
Small Enterprise Development
- Small Enterprise Development, 2018: 4-page Note summarising debates on the role of small enterprises in poverty reduction, and on appropriate support from development agencies.
- Evidence on Business Management Training, 2018: Summarises evidence on the effectiveness of business management training, based on studies referenced in the DCED Evidence Framework.
More detail: DCED Small Enterprise Development web page
- Current debates on Inclusive Business, 2017: 5-pager providing an overview of definitions, experiences and debates around the concept of Inclusive Business.
- How to create an enabling environment for inclusive business, 2017: 2 pages, summarising the DCED’s extensive review of experience and evidence on the topic.
Learn more: DCED Inclusive Business web page
- Employment creation, 2017: 4-pager summarising evidence on job creation, based on a review of approaches such as industrial policy, SME support, agricultural development and business environment reform.
- Youth employment, 2018: 5-page overview of the causes of youth employment, and ways to address it, including youth entrepreneurship.
Business Environment Reform
- Creating Better Business Environments for Micro and Small Enterprises, 2019: 4-page policy brief, summarising key messages for donors based on the DCED’s technical report on the topic.
- Preferential procurement for Small and Medium Enterprises, 2018: 4-page policy brief, based on the DCED’s technical report on the topic.
- Evidence on Business Registration Reform, 2017: Summarises evidence on the effectiveness of business registration reform in promoting economic development and poverty reduction.
Private Sector Development targeting Refugees and Conflict-Affected Contexts
- PSD in Fragile and Conflict Affected Environments (FCAEs), 2018: 4-pager on the role of PSD in poverty reduction and peace building in fragile contexts as well as lessons on programme design.
- PSD for refugees 2017: 6-page Note summarising key research and conclusions about using private sector development to assist refugees.
- Private Sector Adaptation to Climate Change and Development Agency Support, 2016: Explores the role of the private sector in adaptation, and how development agencies are providing support.
Learn more: DCED Green Growth web page